Thursday, March 5, 2009

March 4, 2009 - John, MD, NOT

Well, it didn’t take long for cancer to remind me that it wasn’t some pushover and this fight would not be easily won. This fight has really been pretty easy for me so far. Other than having to give up every food that I like and wanting to sleep all of the time, it really hasn’t been so bad. I’m afraid that I started believing the press clippings and not giving cancer enough credit. I got a little slap in the face today that reminded me that nothing is easy in life, especially when you are fighting a foe as difficult as cancer.

Julia and I met with a Radiologist to discuss the possibility of utilizing radiation to alleviate the pain that I have had in my back and leg. Both of my oncologists suggest this as an approach that could take care of the only real pain that I have had to face thus far. Dr. Chan was highly recommended by Dr. Obenchain and we both found him very likeable and more importantly knowledgeable.

However, he provided the slap in the face that I needed to remind me that this was not going to be a walk in the park. You would think that I would have been smarter that this having watched Dr. Kildare, Medical Center, Marcus Welby, Chicago Hope and ER for so many years, but somehow I had convinced myself that this radiation thing would be a one or two shot deal and I’d be walking like a champ 15 minutes later. Apparently, I wasn’t even as smart as an actor that had played a doctor on TV. I am looking at having 5 weeks of daily radiation treatments. Luckily, doctors don’t work on weekends so I just have 25 sessions.

Twenty-five times I have to drive up to Scottsdale to get zapped. It might even be more if he finds other bones that he wants to fix. Julia certainly isn’t going to have trouble finding me in the dark if this keeps up. I’ll either be glowing or will be able to be found with a Geiger counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment