Saturday, March 21, 2009

March 19, 2009 Nudity at it’s Best

It has been a rather uneventful week which is nice for a change. With no chemo this week, I’m much less tired and actually having a little trouble sleeping. I was originally scheduled to start my radiation treatments for the back pain on Tuesday, but Dr. Chan didn’t get his act together and we didn’t get scheduled until noon today. I have to go in at 4:45 AM tomorrow because my beloved Flyers are playing in the NCAA and nothing, repeat nothing, gets between me and my Flyers.

As always, I got to the doctor’s office about 15 minutes early and had to wait an additional 15 minutes before they called me back. With all of the procedures that I have gotten to experience over the last two months I have gotten pretty used to dropping any level of modesty that I might have had. Yet, today topped all of my earlier exploits.

I walk in the room with the equipment and I am joined by one male and three female technicians. Not sure why they all had to join me, but I’m obviously pretty important or just a guinea pig. They tell me top drop both my pants and underwear. They only cover that I get are two hand towels that two of the women hold about six inches from the exposed areas. Needless to say, getting on the table for the treatment was a joy as what little cover that I had vanished. Once again, none of the women seem either frightened or pleased. Not sure about the guy.

I then got to lay on the hard as nails table as they again took a scan and again marked me with magic markers in three spots. With my posterior exposed to the world I lay there for the next 35 minutes without moving a muscle. I started to get a little cramp in my back but was able to make it through. The surprise that I got when they were done was that they not only did the scan but also the treatment while I was lying there. It was that easy.

After sitting up and once again with little or no cover, I was able to get everything back in order and walk out with a little self respect in hand.

2 comments:

  1. I was talking about you yesterday. I met an amazing breast cancer survivor. She's a new survivor, 29 years old, found out she had it while 5 weeks pregnant. She and her 17 month old baby are doing very well. Anyway, I was sharing some of your stories, so just so you know, this one is gonna top the list for "sharing" ;-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how you change when you are put through a process like this. I told Juklia last night I'm ready for that nude baech in St. Martin we have frequented in the past (just watching though)......

    ReplyDelete