Thursday, March 5, 2009

February 3, 2009 - I Have to Eat What?!!

First meeting with Dr. Hogan at his office today. Didn’t really go over a great deal as we were still awaiting the results from the bone marrow biopsy. Talked more about the diet and what I could have and couldn’t have. Basically, a renal diet exists to protect the kidneys. With my kidneys only working at 10%, they were filled with proteins that they could not process. My body was producing non-conforming proteins that were clogging up the works. To minimize that problem, I had to limit the amount of proteins that I ate.

Those of you that know me know that there are two things that I like to eat, meat and potatoes. Veggies are a nasty thing that I eat when Julia makes me. I had now been limited to 6 ounces of meat. That is just a hair more that a burger that I might toss down at lunch. This was now my entire day. This was not going to be fun. Julia still lives in this dream world thinking that I am going to like vegetables just because I can’t eat the things I like. She actually mentioned mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes. I told her I preferred Jelly Bellies.

In addition to that, I have to limit my sodium, phosphorus, potassium and calcium. I can no longer have any milk products totaling any more than 4 oz. of milk. No tomato based products, no potatoes, no bananas, not beans or nuts. I have to limit the amount of sodium in one day to 2000 milligrams. That is the equivalent of a Whopper and a chicken breast. That doesn’t sound that bad until you realize that everything has sodium. A bagel has 500 milligrams. Two teaspoons of salad dressing can have over 200. When you have only 2,000 they go pretty quick. Can’t even use salt substitutes because they contain potassium. I don’t even know what a salt shaker looks like anymore. I lost 12 pounds in the first week because nothing tasted good. There was no reason to eat. I can’t even walk by Hooter’s they have so much junk food, I have to keep my cell phone on 911 speed dial just in case I wonder in.

No comments:

Post a Comment