Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 30, 2009 More Good News

One thing that I have found during this journey is that I have completely lost track of time. This doesn’t mean that I can’t tell what hour it is. What it means is that I really have no idea what day or date it is. Without the structure of school or work, it is difficult to separate one day from the other. Today marks two weeks that I have been home. It seems like it has been longer, yet it seems like a much shorter time that I actually spent in the hospital. That hospital stay seemed more like two years.

Today is officially day +26, or 26 days since I received my transplant. The magic number for most is 30 days. After 30 days, most start feeling more normal. It is during that time that your blood gets more normal and you lose the other not so pleasant side effects. In some ways, I feel that I am there. My blood work came back great yesterday as both my platelets and white blood cells are back to the middle of the normal range. My red cells continue to improve and my hemoglobin will probably be back to normal within the next month.

In addition, they will be removing my port on Thursday, four days early. As much as I was nervous about having it put in, I’m just that excited about having it taken out. I know what is coming so, no big deal. It will be nice to take a shower and not tape up. It will also be nice to just stand in the shower and let the water run over what used to be my hair.
Speaking of which, I still have some hair left. We cut it off 10 days ago because it was everywhere. I still have fuzz but what is bothering me is the fact that some has continued to fall out. My problem is that it seems like the only hair that is falling out is what dark hair I had left. As a result, I just have white fuzz left. So much for looking young.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete