Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 24, 2009 Does Everything Really Taste This Bad?


I’ve been home for just over a week now and about the only thing that consistently tastes good is ice cream. (I guess there could be worse things to like.) Of course, my choices of ice cream have been pretty pedestrian, you have to understand we are in Arizona (the non-ice cream capital of the world.) That was, of course, until there was a sharp knock on the front door. Then like manna from heaven, a package from Columbus, Ohio arrived.

During my last two trips to Columbus to see Terry, any free time I had was wrapped around food and more specifically trips to Graeter’s. Graeter’s started in Cincinnati in 1870 as a candy/chocolate/ice cream store. After a while, they branched out into other areas such as Dayton and Columbus. The day that Julia and I married, John, her younger brother and I drove to Cincinnati to get several quarts for our reception. Fran, my favorite mother-in-law, almost fell over when I handed her the bill for over $175 for ice cream. That still beings a smile to my face.

As Julia went to the door, she immediately thought that it was the belated Father’s Day gift that was to arrive that day. To her and eventually my amazement it was instead a gift from God. Six pints of Graeter’s ice cream had made it to Chandler, Arizona. I looked everywhere for a card but could find none.

This was driving me nuts. I certainly had to thank the gift giver for this wonderful present. My steal trap of a brain then sprung into action. Although a little chemo hung over, two names came to mind that I had mentioned Graeter’s to in the last week. I contacted both, but both were dumbfounded, it wasn’t from them.

That left me with just one name and it was the before mention brother in law, John and his wife Angie. They well know my addiction and finally at 7 PM on Tuesday we discovered a small note on the package that identified them as the benefactor. Too late to call, so it will be tonight that they will receive my thanks. All of a sudden, life is good.

This has been an interesting week in that I feel as though I am getting better, but it is very hard to gauge. My stomach has been less than cooperative and my meals have been occasional and small at best. When I post this update, it will be the first time I will have been on the internet in six days. My biggest exercise is walking from the bedroom to the couch to the bathroom. I’m afraid that this last leg of the trip has been the most common. Getting better, but slowly.

I’ve made two trips to the Mayo with continuing improvement in my blood levels. In meeting with the Nurse Practitioner, she said to be patient. If there is one thing that I am not, it’s patient. If I can’t beat all of the times, I wonder what’s wrong. I’ve beaten all of their projections so far and I don’t want to stop now. In her words, by day +30, I will really notice a difference. I am currently on day +20. I really don’t want to wait another 10 days to feel more like myself. We’ll see.

Just in case you missed the picture at the top of the blog, I am now hairless. It was driving me crazy finding hair everywhere, so I had Justin buzz it off. There is nothing like looking in the mirror and seeing no hair for the first time in your life. I really felt that I was looking at someone else. I’ve found that I am less self conscious about it than I thought I would be. In actuality, I have heard that chicks dig it. One more hurdle jumped.

5 comments:

  1. Thats a good look for you. You should have gone commando YEARS ago. Wh owould have thought last time I saw you that now Id have a 8 inch pony tail and youd be a skinhead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree John, that is a good look for you. I have always thought you looked young for your age, now you look like a twenty something! I too believe that ice cream is the best one of the four major food groups. I appreciate reading your updates keep em coming. I can not imagine ever being a facebooker but Hollis sends them to me. Keep up the battle- God Speed

    Jon Enwiller

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, it's great to hear from you again. You look awesome - it's a great barber that we share! Hang in there. I look forward to talking with you when you get stronger. I know it won't be long.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - I think this look is a keeper! It looks great -- really! Andy shaves his head every 2 weeks and loves it. You may decide you don't want it back :-) As far as the ice-cream goes, there is nothing better than Graeter's, as all Cincinnatians know. Enjoy yours, and feel better soon...
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, sooo glad you're feeling better. Prayers have been answered. We love you! P.S. your aunts weren't kidding. - I was there.

    ReplyDelete