Monday, June 1, 2009

June 1, 2009 Countdown to Minus One

Well, it’s the day before the biggest couple of days in my life. It was just over four months ago that I discovered I have cancer. Hard to believe that I may only be days away from saying that I am cancer free. What a wild ride this has been.

I can’t say that I am nervous, but there is certainly an air of anticipation. I know that in the next day, I’m going to receive chemotherapy like I have never seen before. Although I have undergone 16 treatments so far, number seventeen will probably have more side effects than the rest combined.

I had to get a few things done before the big day and subsequent house arrest so I stopped over at Dr. Obenchain’s to see Jerri, one of my two favorite nurses. Jerri was busy but made a few moments to discuss what was going to happen in the coming days and of course gave me a big hug before I left. Sammi is in Korea visiting relatives so I’ll have to wait until I’m back to normal to see her.

Most importantly, I wanted to see Dr. Obenchain. She is without a doubt my favorite doctor amongst a group of fabulous doctors. I cannot say enough about the wonderful care I have received from every doctor that I have worked with, but Dr. Obenchain is special. She makes you feel out of the ordinary. You aren’t just a patient to her; you are a person, a friend. She makes you understand the risks and benefits and does it in a way that you know she cares. That little touch on the arm that she gives just warms you up.

Yet, I am not very happy with Dr. Obenchain because she made me a promise several months ago and then reiterated it when I last saw her. She was to get something done by the time I went into the hospital for my transplant and she has yet to do it. As a friend she owes me that promise. I hope she reads this and is true to her word because it is important to me that she does as she said she would.

On the way home and in anticipation of spending more time in bed than I care to discuss, I got most of my hair whacked off today. No bed head for me. I also thought that it would be a lot less gross when it actually started falling out. Sixteen dollars well spent in my mind.

Spent the rest of the day just getting things put together for my 17 day vacation. I packed fairly light since Julia will be able to take the dirty clothes and bring them back clean the next day (nice one day turn around at a minimal fee.). Also gathered up a number of books to read while laying in the beach, er sheets. I’m bringing my walking shoes for long hikes on the 100 foot stretch of scenic view outside my room all while wearing a mask.

When I last spoke to Steve Kerrigan, the DJ from Dayton that is a survivor of multiple myeloma, he referred to the day that he received his stem cell transplant as his new birthday. I’m not sure that I will approach it the same way, but if it gets me a few extra presents and not having to do dishes and other chores around the house, I might just have to adopt it as a second day of celebration during the year.

I will see Dr. Mikhael tomorrow at 10 AM and he will either give me the thumbs up for the transplant or give me some very good reason not to. If that is the case, it had better be a darned good reason. If it is a go, we will call the hospital and let them know that we have the go-ahead. If there is a bed, we will then head over and get ready for the 4 PM chemo. Then in just two days, it will be birthday number two as I receive my stem cells back.

2 comments:

  1. you will learn to love the Kojack look. You get "street cred" and respect out in public. People think you are a badass and tote a pocket knife or pack heat or are full of tatoos under your shirt and dont mess with you.

    The other benefit is you roll out of bed and you are one teeth brushing from being "good to go".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on, Chris...John a badass? Hahaha, you have lost your mind. Oh no, I forgot, you are the one who calls him "Mad Dog." So he already has street cred with you :-)

    ReplyDelete