Thursday, June 4, 2009

June 3, 2009 Day -1

Today was pretty much a down day. Nothing scheduled, just time to let the chemo do its thing before they give me my stem cells back tomorrow. I haven’t yet shown any major outward signs from the chemo, but it has messed up a few things internally. As soon as I checked in, I started to receive a steady drip of saline solution. After being in the hospital for 12 hours I was weighed for the second time and had gained 4 pounds. Pretty impressive if you ask me since I hadn’t eaten a thing.

It seems that the saline and everything else I was taking in was not all coming out. As a result, I had to get a quick fix of a drug to send me to the bathroom. Twelve hours later after about five trips, I was back down to normal. My kidneys were also acting up in other ways as the uric acid was up in my blood. Another shot of some wonder drug and that was taken care of also.

Other than that is was a quiet day. I have started to notice that I’m a little more shaky getting out of bed. Once I get moving around, it isn’t too bad, it’s just that initial movement. I’m sure it is just the chemo doing its thing.

I’m going to take the next few minutes of your time to reiterate one of the main reasons that I am writing this blog. If you remember, the reason that I found out that I had cancer was a simple trip to the doctor for my annual physical. If I hadn’t gone that day, I have no idea if I would still be around, let alone awaiting the miracle of transplant. If you haven’t already done so, please set up an appointment for a physical. It only takes an hour.

1 comment:

  1. John, I have been following your posts daily and continue to wish you well. You've got one heck of a battle in front of you, but you've got your strength, positive outlook, and strong support from your family and friends. I have no doubt that you will pull through in great shape. Keep the faith and stay strong!

    God Bless!

    Stan

    PS - Did the blood work for my physical this week. See the doc on the 15th.

    ReplyDelete