Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April 7, 2009 The Trip Home

This coming weekend is one I have looked forward to for some time, yet at the same time I’m dreading it. You see, I finally talked myself into getting on a plane and flying back to Columbus. With the chemotherapy that has been going on, I have been reluctant to get into the germ infested cesspool more commonly referred to as a airplane. For four hours each way, I get to breath in everyone else’s germs several times. Luckily, I have a medical mask that I will throw on after I get into the plane. This, of course, will be the trip that the a future Playboy bunny will sit next to me and wonder what’s up with the guy in the goofy mask.

The reason that I am risking life and limb is to see my good friend Terry. For those of you that have been reading along, you are well aware of Terry’s plight with prostate cancer. It has gotten to the point where he is home but pretty much bed ridden. This has to bother Terry more than anything as he has always been a guy on the move ready to make the next big deal.

I really am looking forward to seeing Terry because it has been over five months since I have seen him, well before I found out my own malady. He was still wearing his snake skin shoes with the wild colored shirt and pants. We, of course, met at Hooters so that we could have an in depth conversation about the economy and other pressing world issues.

It will be good to get back together just to talk about the old times. I’m just hoping that he is strong enough to deal with me all day Saturday. I land at 9:15 PM on Friday night and leave at 12:30 PM on Sunday, so this trip is just to see him.

The reason that I am not looking forward to the trip is that I know that I am eventually going to have to say good- bye in one way or another and I am already choking up just writing this. I really don’t want it to be the case, but there is a high likelihood that I won’t see Terry again. After I get home, I will be tied up in my own situation including the eventual stem cell transplant.

I’m sure that the day will be filled with both laughs and tears but I hope more of the former. It will be tough enough seeing him confined to a bed without his thick hair, but I don’t want it to become a wake. I need to remember Terry laughing because that is what we always did. We laughed at a lot of things, but usually ourselves. Laughter fuelled our friendship and that is the way it has to continue no matter how good or bad we each feel.

Think of us Saturday evening as we probably say our last in person good-bye. We’ll need your prayers to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment