Sunday, April 5, 2009

April 3, 2009 Pokes and Prods and Zaps, Oh My

I think I am to the point where I need to just quit my job and go full time on the cancer gig I’ve got going. I feel like I need to ask for a raise, but I’m just not sure who the boss is? To give you an idea of my day, it certainly was more dominated by medical facilities than my place of work.

I started off the day as I usually do on Fridays by going to get a treatment of chemo. It seems like my right arm is ready for a vacation. Twice this week, Jerri and Sammi failed to get any blood out of that arm and had to jump over to the left one. They usually go back and forth depending on the day.

I then drove over to work so I could get ready for an interview for an ingredient buyer that I have been looking for nine months. The interview went well so the day wasn’t a total loss. I then had to drive up to the Mayo Clinic which is 40 minutes away from work to get a blood test and drop off my 24 hour urine test. (More about that later.) The tech was able to get blood out of the right arm so maybe it just needed a short rest and not a full vacation.

Then back in the car and off to radiation. That is also in Scottsdale, but about 20 minutes away. For a change I didn’t have to wait very long and was in and out of there pretty quickly. Twelve down and only thirteen of those to go. So finally back and the car and off to work. After talking to my fellow interviewers, I decided to offer the guy the job. Put together the offer with HR and shot out of there to get home and hopefully take a nap. This working for a living is starting to get to me.

I’m starting to feel like the Stooges without Larry and Moe. I can’t seem to do any kind of medical thing without some kind of hitch. Nobody to blame but myself on this one, however. One of the tests that the Mayo Clinic had me do was a 24 hour urine collection. They give you this big jug that you have to keep refrigerated between uses. Have to make sure you keep it way from the lemonade. (Just so you are not grossed out, I kept it in a cooler with ice.)

Because I have chemo the day I have to turn it in, I go through a lot of liquids. One of the things they want you to do is stay hydrated so your veins are flush. So needless to say, I’m filling up the 100 oz. container pretty well. Only problem is that the last fill was about 4 AM in the morning, half asleep.

When I get to the Mayo, I take the container out of the cooler and put it in a brown paper bag. Didn’t really want everyone in the hospital to see me toting 24 hours worth of body waste down the hallways. As I am walking to the drop off location, I feel the liquid sloshing around the container but really didn’t give it much thought. That was until my arm stated getting colder faster than it should have.

It was then that a frightening thought went through my head, “There isn’t any way that this stupid thing could be leaking?” I got to the lab, opened the bag and to my horrors the jug was swimming in a pool of liquid. Just at that point the attendant walked up and asked if she could help me. Imagine having to explain to someone that you have never met that you aren’t an idiot that can’t even close a sample container right.

After telling her of my plight, she put on a pair of gloves and attempted to wipe off the container. She then held up a trash can so that I could throw away the leaking bag. I then quickly dashed away hoping that Larry and Moe would show up to get me out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment