Friday, April 24, 2009

April 23, 2009 The Real Doctor Steps Up

Well, it looks like I am going to have to give up my, “I’m not a real Doctor, but I’ve watched one on TV” attitude. Spoke to Dr. Mickael and he talked me down from the ledge of a fifth round of chemotherapy. His logic is that since I have had such a good response that there truly is a law of diminishing returns and I just wouldn’t benefit that much from the extra exposure. He also stated that even though I may not be experiencing a great deal of difficulties from the chemo, there tends to be an effect that the more you get, the more the body doesn’t like it.

I have noticed just a small amount of tingling in my left foot and hand that I haven’t had before, so maybe, just maybe, he knows what he is talking about. Having a month off would allow the body to be in pretty good shape as we start the stem cell procedure.

This was a good week for some of my “Cancer Clan.” My mother in law, Fran, started her chemotherapy this week after two months of waiting for her incision to heal. At one point in time, Fran was actually thinking about not doing the chemo because of the dreaded effects. She, too, was talked down from that belief and agreed to not only do a standard chemo but also participate in a clinical trial.

The first few days have gone just about as good as anyone could have asked for. Her nausea has been very limited and she has even been able to get out of the house and do some things. She also got back some good news as her “marker” is showing that there is a reduction of cancer in her system. This is solely due to the surgery, so we all are anticipating a further reduction after this first round of chemo.

I also got to talk to Steve Kerrigan, the DJ from Dayton that also has multiple myeloma. Aside from the fact that his kidneys have continued to decline, he is doing well now in his fourth month of remission. He will soon have to start dialysis three times a week, but hopes to be able to do it through some type of a mobile machine that might allow him to do it while he is on the air. Wouldn’t that be cool? Hopefully, the kidneys can start to bounce back without the strain of the cancer.

Probably the biggest news of the week was the fact that Terry actually called ME. I can’t remember the last time that he was able to take the initiative. This new round of chemo seems to be performing some minor miracles. He has been able to get around the house and even take showers on his own. He was actually complaining about the Reds and their pathetic choice of a manager. You would not believe the difference in the man. As always, thanks for the prayers.

I’m pretty much entering a down time for me over the next three weeks and then three weeks of tests, minor surgery and the transplant. Just think, if all goes well, I could be in remission in a couple of months. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment