Monday, April 20, 2009

April 19, 2009 A Week of Ups and Downs


Just to let you know, I have a cold. It really just popped out today, but I’m cranky. I’ve done just about everything I can to not get sick during the chemotherapy including wearing a mask on a plane, washing my hands 300 times a day and not kissing my wife for the last three months. (Only problem is, I think she is enjoying it.) I’m afraid to take anything because of the kidney problems and the chemo. So I will contact my doctors Monday morning to see what is OK, but for now, I’ll just deal with it by not doing anything.

Aside from that, this week has had it’s ups and downs. Our family lost a friend when Fritz Rausch died on Wednesday. Fritz had been battling health issues for the last few years, but he was only a few years older than me. Fritz was the father-in-law of Justin’s and Jason’s baseball coach for the last few years back in Ohio, Chuck Gould. Fritz and his wife, Garnet, always came to the games to root the teams on so I got to know Fritz rather well over the last four years.

In a lot of ways, Fritz was a lot like me in that he was always trying to make people laugh, never thought an umpire made the right call and liked to flirt with just about every woman in sight. Fritz will be missed as he was taken well before he and we were ready.

I’m down to only three more radiation treatments, so I’m excited about that. Even going to the candy store gets old if you have to do it every day. You can imagine what it is like to have to get irradiated on a daily basis. You have to become concerned when they lock you in a room with two feet thick lead walls. I become a free man on Wednesday.

The real positives happened on the weekend when we got to see Justin go to his senior Prom. Of course, I had to take out a fifth mortgage because of the tux, limo, tickets and dinner. All in all, we dropped about $400 on this little evening out. He had a good time and made it home in one piece at about 4:30 AM on Sunday morning.

Only problem was that he had a baseball game that started seven hours later in Scottsdale. As a result, his opportunity to sleep was pretty short. The fact that the game was 45 miles away and they had to be there 30 minutes early, got him out of the house at 10.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the only real reason that we have children is so that we can brag about them. Although we would prefer to brag about ourselves, people will at least listen to you when you brag about your kid. They may walk away mumbling, but at least they listen. I can’t wait to go to work tomorrow.

You see, Justin apparently likes getting just a little sleep before the plays baseball. As most of you know, baseball has been a rather important part of Justin’s life since he was eight. When he didn’t make the high school baseball team, I thought we might have to put him on suicide watch. (Not really, but it sounds more dramatic when I put it that way.) We were able to find a league for kids that weren’t playing high school ball that he started a couple of weeks ago.

Although this league will never be confused with major league baseball, it does give the participants an opportunity to play the game they love. And Justin certainly did love it today. In his five official times to the plat, Justin hit three home runs and had a single. He drove in six runs and scored five. It got to the point where people actually watched when he came to the plate. It was a great day for him and gives me enough ammunition to brag for at least the next week or so. Another $400 (league fees) well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment