Monday, April 27, 2009

April 24, 2009 Chapter Two

I feel as if I’ve completed another chapter on the road to recovery. On Wednesday, I finished my twenty-fifth session of radiation and today the sixteenth round of chemotherapy. Without the miracle of transplant, I would now go on to some other medicine with little hope of recovery. Yet, in a little over one month, I’ll be given a chance for remission because of stem cell transplantation.

When I left the hospital doctor’s office today after my chemo, I got a hug from both Gerri and Sammi. I’ll still be going in once in a while, but I’ll really miss our little discussions we have had while I received my treatments. We talked about everything under the sun, but it was always refreshing and encouraging to talk to my “private nurses.” Because I was always in there at 8 AM, I usually had them to myself and we always did our best to keep it light.

It became an ongoing joke as to who was going to get to give me the IV. Was it going to be Sammi, who is “excellent”, in her own words (Make sure you say that with a Korean accent) or Gerri, who I have given a hard time to since my first day there when we had to call Sammi in to the rescue. I never dreamed that chemotherapy could go so smoothly and a lot of that success can be explained by the excellent care I received every time I went.

I’ll now start my down time as I get ready for Chapter Three. For the next three weeks I’ll just have a few doctor’s appointments and blood tests. Then all heck breaks loose and I’ll be spending more time at the Mayo Clinic than I will at work. I woke up this morning saying, “I don’t want to go to work today.” Kind of funny, because in a couple of months, I’ll probably be saying, “Boy, I wish I could go in to work today.” I’m just never happy, but, of course, you already know that!

No comments:

Post a Comment