Friday, August 28, 2009

August 28, 2009 Life as a Bachelor


For the last week and a half the boys and I have lived as only bachelors should. We haven’t been eating vegetables and will only clean the house the day that Julia arrives home after visiting her mother and the rest of the family. I suppose I should wash the sheets, but that will probably be that last thing on the way to making the house look like humans actually reside there.

Despite not knowing how to find my way around the kitchen, I somehow kept everyone alive without a great deal of weight loss. Of course, we didn’t exactly dine like kings, but I do know how to unfreeze things and throw a pizza in the oven. We actually did have an evening of frozen pot roast, frozen corn and pre-manufactured mashed potatoes from the refrigerated section.

It hasn’t been the cooking that has worn me out, it is the laundry. The day after Julia left, I had the boys bring up their clothes and added to the pile that already existed. That took me four loads. We go through enough towels in two days to do a load and when you add that to the seven or eight towels that the boys had hoarded, I had another two loads to do. Then just two days later, I had another four loads of clothes to do. I swear, they hide dirty clothes for special occasions.

However, it is the endless football washing that is driving me nuts. Before the season, I bought Jason two girdles (for the unfootball people out there, this is a protective pair of tight fitting shorts that hold the leg pads under the football pants) so that we wouldn’t have to do laundry every night. Instead, he has decided to wear the school supplied girdle. With football six days a week, I have had to wash this thing 8 times since Julia left. In addition, Jason no longer wears a white practice jersey. The first string defense wears red for practice. So now I wear red just about every day so I have something to wash with the practice jersey.

Luckily, I have until late in the afternoon on Saturday to get this place inhabitable. Jason has to be at practice at 7:15 in the morning so I have already warned Justin he will be up early to tackle the house cleaning. Too bad I can’t clean like Mr. Clean; lord knows I have the hair style down pat.

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is that the place looked amazing when I walked in the door. My guys did good and John says they didn't lose weight, but I don't think they did anything to improve their personal health. I had fruit and veggies cleaned in the drawers before I left and was informed no one knew they were here because the drawers weren't opened during the week.

    The boys did compliment Dad's dinners, but what's not to love about college-style food :-)

    I'm just glad they did so well and the boys obviously took good care of dear ol' Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JC can you eat double whoppers again or is that gonna be taboo forever?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 more dsys and I suggest you buy some Yum stock.

    John

    ReplyDelete