Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 19, 2009 Fourth Quarter


I have officially entered the last quarter of my 100 day experience. Because I am such a huge baseball fan and lover of the underdog (Cincinnati Reds), I am going to put this experience into baseball terms verses football despite the fourth quarter reference.

My season started off in a real slump—Fourteen days in the hospital in which I lost 15 pounds. I came home and proceeded to want to throw up anytime I tried to take a pill for the next few weeks. This is not the way to start a season. Sometimes you start off so badly that no matter what you do later, you still end up out of the playoffs. I didn’t like starting the year in the minors, but hoped for a promotion to the majors later in the season.

As the weather started to warm up, I started to feel better---Like a lot of good teams, it just took me a while to start playing up to my abilities. We had about 15 consecutive days of over 110 degrees and it actually felt good to get outside a little bit. I started to increase my activity and despite feeling a little tired, I started feeling stronger. I was ready for the call up to the majors.

As the trading deadline approached, I felt I needed to strengthen my bullpen---It was getting close to my big tests early in August and I felt it was time to really start getting my body in better shape. At the end of July, I started walking in the pool. I traded time on the couch for time in the pool. This was a deadline deal that helped me get back in the pennant race.

My big road trip to play the first place team---On August 6th, I met with Dr. Mikhael. He is the guy in first place and I am ready to meet with him to see just how good I really am. Just like when the second place team visits the first place team for a three game series to see who was the best. I won 2 out of 3 games (tests) on that road trip. I held my own and kept myself in position to make a run at the end of the season.

Bad feet, sore legs and still a bit weak would put some on the disabled list, but I said pour it on---The good thing about the trip to the doctor was that he let me go back to work. I felt much better than I had just one month earlier, so I decided to go back to work despite the occasional limp. I’ve now worked seven days and am ecstatic. It feels good to be back in the starting rotation after spending time in the bullpen. I had to skip a start on Friday, but came back strong on Monday.

Stretch drive---We are now down to the last few days of the season and I feel better than ever. I have been able to stretch work out to four hours on some days. Despite nagging foot problems, I am ready for the big final series in the battle for first place. It is still 25 days away, but I have a good fastball to go along with my curveball so I feel like I can take anything the doctor has to throw at me. Like all major leaguers, I will have to take a urine test before I am cleared to play full time. Instead of the $20 million players who have to provide just a small cup worth, I will have to provide a jug of the stuff. That is what happens when you start the season in the minors.

3 comments:

  1. I know your season will be better than the reds. They drive me crazy, lol.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear the Reds are scrimmaging Chico's Bail Bonds next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they do, they will probably lose.....


    John

    ReplyDelete