Monday, August 10, 2009

August 10, 2009 Hi Ho, Hi Ho


After being away for over two months, I actually found my way back to work today. However, the equipment in my office wasn’t so happy to see me. Shortly before I left for my extended vacation, I was given a nice new HP laptop. It is small and light, but it has given me a few fits in its lifetime. For whatever reason, it just doesn’t like me working from home. There were times that it would take over ten minutes to come up. If I wanted to utilize Word, it would take another five minutes. No problems at work, just home.

I digress. It seems that the monitor in my office decided to go along with the laptop and its goal of me not doing any work and it decided not to come up this morning. So I thought a quick call to the Help Desk and I would be golden. However, my phone was as dead as a doornail. (This is one of those sayings I learned from my dad and done my best to hand it down to my sons, but as in most things, they have refused to pick it up.) So my cell phone actually worked and I got my call into the Help Desk. Helpful as always, they solved the problem and I was on my way.

After all of this excitement, I decided to have a short meeting with my staff to go over some items that had been nagging at me for some time. Nothing that they were doing incorrectly, just things that we needed to fix. Boy, it felt good to be back in my office, feeling some sense of worth.

However, after about two hours and thirty minutes, I hit a wall. It was time to head home. Not a bad day’s work, 150 minutes. Just enough time to get home and take a nap. I promised my doctor that I would be good and take it easy. Hopefully, that wall is a little further away tomorrow.

1 comment: