Tuesday, July 28, 2009

July 28, 2009 - Spending Spree

Yesterday I mentioned that I’m still not 100%, but every week I seem to get a little better. That was until I went shoe shopping the other day.

Because of the neuropathy (damage to the nerves in hands or feet caused by chemotherapy) in both of my feet, I have run into some discomfort when I walk much. As a result, I have stopped my morning walks. So Julia suggested that we go to the Walking Store.

This is exactly the kind of store that I have passed up my whole life. Any place that they not only measure the length and width of your foot but they also measure your arch is a little scary to me. I’m the guy that buys the same shoe over and over again at Kohl’s whenever it goes on sale. I buy one pair of black and one pair of brown and I usually can get them for about $39.95. When I buy gym shoes (not sure they call them that any more) I get whatever is cheap. Lord knows I would really hurt something if I tried anything athletic, so getting that little better traction really isn’t going to make a difference.

My goal was to just get one pair of shoes that I could survive in until this little setback goes away. From my exhaustive internet search (one article), this may take from three to five months after chemo. I knew this wasn’t Kohl’s so no multiple buys for me.

By the time I got out of there I not only bought two pairs of shoes and flip flops, I also bought an insert that would help my arch and four pairs of white half socks. The shoes and flip flops were all on sale so I thought I’d be able to survive the encounter and then the guy tells me it is $245. I immediately thought he hit an extra key or two when he put in one of the shoes. I don’t spend $245 on shoes and socks in a year. No need to continue to worry about cancer any longer, I thought that I would have a heart attack.

I come to find out the socks are $11 each. He said that they were a special blend and would last two years unlike other socks that only last six months. Six months? I still have socks that I wore when Justin was born. The insert was $59. That is as much as I have ever paid for a pair of shoes in my life. When I got home I had to lie down.

So much for shopping. I’m staying home for the next month just to recover.

1 comment:

  1. JC those shoes may be $245 but they look like a million bucks. Theres no shame in being a card carrying member of the Easy Spirit crowd.

    ReplyDelete