Monday, July 20, 2009

July 20, 2009 Dayton Flyers


Those of you that know me well know of my love for the University of Dayton and all of their sports teams. For the last nine years or so, I have written for the internet site, UDPride.com. Because of it, I have been able to meet a good number of players, coaches and UD staff. I have yet to meet one I didn’t like.

Because of my writing, I have met a number of UD fans including several that have become good friends, even if we haven’t met in person. The internet has certainly created new and interesting relationships, hasn’t it?

My closest of all of those friends is Paul Nardini. Out of the blue over a decade ago Paul called me from his home in Lima, Ohio. He had read an article that had appeared in the UD Quarterly, looked up my number and gave me a call. We talked on the phone for close to an hour and Paul couldn’t stop complementing me on my handiwork. You have to appreciate someone who can recognize quality work!!!

Paul and I now refer to each other as “brothers”, he being the big brother. We talk on a fairly regular schedule usually about our beloved Flyers. Before moving to Arizona, I was a season ticket holder for UD basketball games, driving 90 minutes each way for over 20 years. As a family, we rarely missed a game, even when they only won three games one year. Justin even had a cheerleader “girlfriend” when he was almost three.

Now that I have left, the Flyers are getting good, being rated as a preseason top 20 team. This hasn’t happened with any regularity since the 1950’s. In addition, they have the potential of having a top 10 recruiting class for next year.

This brings me to a portion of the conversation that Paul and I had yesterday. We talked about the Flyers as we always do, but we also talked a good deal about what I have been going through. Toward the end of the conversation, Paul said something to the effect that he has been worried that I might not live long enough to see the Flyers reach the Final Four.

This might be startling to some, but not to me. This crazy thought had already passed through my head. I have always loved the underdog and now my underdog Flyers were heading to territory I have never seen before and I have cancer. Something is wrong with this picture.

Don’t worry; I’m not jumping off the deep end. I still believe that I will beat this thing. Yet, this is a great example of the kind of thing that runs through your head once you find out that you are probably not going to live forever. Another thought that I have had was if God assured me that I had exactly ten more years, would I take Him up on that, or would I roll the dice to see if I could get more. I turned 56 this January and at the time, I had planned on delaying my pension from Abbott until I turned 65. I turned in the paperwork a couple weeks ago to get it started. Funny how things change when you have a little more knowledge.

I’m just glad I had my physical when I did and found out I was sick. Who knows where I would be today if I hadn’t taken the time to get the physical. My boss, Scott Luther, completed his physical the other day and gave me a little credit for getting him going to get it done. That put a smile on my face. I believe that there are close to 100 people that read this blog and I have been writing it for over six months. I sincerely doubt that 50 of you have had a physical in that period of time. Stop putting it off. Please.

PS I’m feeling better every day!

6 comments:

  1. Thank-you, John. You've definitely got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John-I appreciate your comments. I sometimes feel like no one can appreciate why I went on disability. There are so many things in life to appreciate and although one might love their work, when energy is low and demands are high, one has to prioritize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I really enjoyed your article as well as your blog. I think of you and your family everyday and want you to know that I have never know someone as strong willed as you. Keep fighting the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly think there is something to you finally leaving Ohio and the Flyers just starting to round into proper form. If it meant you fleeing the state however, a lot of people here think it was all worth it.

    You will be proud of me this Saturday as I entertain 500 other Porsches in Oxford for the show I organize. We're going to raise in excess of $10,000 for the American Cancer Society. We sold 40 prime parking spots for $100 each (I bought one myself) and will get the rest from registrations and raffle tickets. I think the Enquirer and TV people will be there. I'll keep your struggle and bald head in my mind this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following your blog for a few months, John. Thanks for continuing to post your thoughts (even in the tough times). You know that you and your family were in my thoughts even before you left Powell. You'll see your Flyers play ball and hopefully you'll fly to Dayton to watch some decent basketball. Keep that positive attitude. By coincidence, my physcial is tomorrow (7/23). I know, TMI!!!! Regards - Bruce Baer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my physical on July 29. All ok here. Keep the good news coming from AZ.

    ReplyDelete