Monday, July 27, 2009

July 27, 2009 Half Way Home


When I started talking to Dr. Mikhael about a stem cell transplant what seems like eons ago, he talked about things getting back to normal after 100 days. It seemed like a long time when he threw out that number. It seemed like an even longer amount of time when I told my boss at the time, Kevin Adams. Luckily, he completely understood and told me not to worry about it. Isagenix wanted me for the long haul and just to take care of myself.

Today is officially Day 53. It seems like Day 153. This timetable is moving as slow as the condemned man as he walks to the gallows. We all have days where we say to ourselves, “Boy I don’t want to go to work today.” I start off every one of my days with “Boy, I wish I could go to work today.”

It’s not just not being able to go to work that is driving me nuts, it’s little things like no fast food. Julia gives me grief for this, but I would give about anything to be able to eat a Whopper right now. I haven’t had a salad since I went into the hospital. I’ve gone to two movies, but I go at off hours to movies that have been out for a while and then have to sit away from any other humans.

This is all because my immune system is still not where it should be and day 100 is the magic cutoff. Until then, I drive by Arby’s and think about how good one of their roast beef sandwiches would taste. Boy, would an extra crispy breast from KFC hit home. What is really scary is that Taco Bell even sounds good.

I’m like the woman with straight hair that wants curly hair and vice versa. We all want what we can’t or don’t have. Of course, I would like to have any hair at this juncture.

I guess that if all I have to complain about is that I haven’t had a Chalupa for a while, life is pretty good. I’m still not 100%, but every week I seem to get a little better.

1 comment:

  1. John, I'm glad to hear to you are coming along well. I'm still confident that you will be just fine. You have a beautiful family and a lot to live for.

    I appreciate the significance of certain "days" in this process. My original cancer diagnosis was October 29, 2007 - my father's birthday. My second cancer diagnosis was July 22, 2008, my oldest daughter's 21st birthday. The day I met with the doctor and received the results of the biopsy on the prostate which meant I was cancer free was October 29, 2008 - 1 year to the date of the original diagnosis and again on my father's birthday. I cried like a baby all the way home. There are parts of this battle that are just flat out emotional!!

    Hang in there and stay strong!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete