Tuesday, September 22, 2009

September 22, 2009 The Big “R”

It is hard to believe but it was exactly eight months ago today that I went in for a simple physical. I had gone longer than I normally would because of the move to Arizona and not having a regular doctor. My life has been filled with ups and downs but today topped all of the ups that I have received during those eight months. It was today that would mark the beginning of my life as a cancer survivor.

Multiple Myeloma is a disease without a cure. I came to grips with that a long time ago. Yet, I never gave in to the belief that MM was ever going to beat me. Certainly I had my days of doubt, but I refused to succumb to the power of cancer. Deep down inside I knew that I would eventually win. I’m not exactly in the winner’s circle, but I am certainly within earshot.

Today I received the official word that I am in “very good partial remission.” Doesn’t sound like much does it? It sounds like the title of fifth runner-up in a beauty pageant. In reality, it isn’t all that bad. In looking at the raw numbers, my lambda free light chain that measures the amount of cancer in my bloodstream has dropped from a high of 65 down to 5.98 with normal being as high as 2.63. This is an improvement from last month when it was at 8.12. The amount of protein in my urine is down from a high of 1.000 gram in 24 hours to .142 with normal being less than .103. All of this puts me at a 90+% improvement which throws me in the “very good partial remission” group.

It is very difficult to put into words what this means to me. Certainly the ability to have Big Macs again last week was huge, but this makes that look like the 1962 Mets. I now have the weight of the world off my shoulders. I can go to sleep without that constant nagging of worry of ,“What is the cancer doing to me now?” I still have to carry a backpack of worries, just not the world.

This is not a cure, but then none of we MM survivors have a cure. We have to live day to day knowing that it will come back at some point. That doesn’t, however, keep us from enjoying that day and the next and the next because they are making wonderful strides with this disease and hopefully in my lifetime they will come up with a cure.

Dr. Mikhael will continue to monitor my progress and I will have another blood test in two months and a full body scan at that time. We will make decisions as we go as I am not on any maintenance drugs of any kind. If the disease starts to make a comeback, there are many options short of another transplant to keep it at bay. However, as Dr. Mikhael never forgets to remind me, the average length of time between transplants is 18-24 months. I will continue to scoff at that until my time comes.

I cannot begin to tell all of you how important all of your prayers and well wishes have been to me. If it wasn’t a comment here, it was something on Facebook, an email, a call or a card in the mail. I’m a firm believer in the power of the mind and the power of prayer. What all of you have done for me will not be forgotten and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

I am going to miss my updates on here and the interaction that it caused. Julia seems to think I should keep writing, but I’m afraid my normal life is far too boring to keep people awake. This outlet has given me the opportunity to say things I would normally not say and I appreciated that. Sometimes it is hard to say things that are in our hearts to the people we love and this gave me a way to express those feelings.

I will post updates on here as I get results from my tests so you might want to check in every couple of months.

In parting, I want you to remember that the amount of money in the bank means little when you don’t have your health. Please remember to have a physical every year. It saved my life, it could save yours.

4 comments:

  1. Finally!! We are so happy for you and your family. You know you will never be far from our thoughts and prayers to keep you healthy. Don't stop writing! Lots of love from the Lyle Family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we can't tell you how much we appreciate all of the support, love and prayers. We would not have been able to get through the last 9 months without the notes, calls and acts of heart-felt kindness.

    ...Our neighbors and new AZ friends have stepped in to help us adjust, provide food and transport the boys so many times when our focus had to be elsewhere.
    ...My brother and sister-in-law had to take on so many additional family responsibilities with us being so far away.
    ...Our many Columbus friends have helped us with Powell house issues and other Ohio business.
    ...Our Rockford family and friends have been so supportive to my parents and grandparents during their times of need.
    ...John's company and work friends couldn't have been more understanding and supportive to a "new guy" in need. And my AOL "family" picked up the slack when some days it has seemed impossible to get through the day or when my time was needed at a doctor's appointment, John's bedside or just dealing with whatever was going on.
    ...We have had prayer chains and healing services from friends, acquaintances and strangers all over the country from every religion, Catholic and Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Mormon and possibly some we aren't even aware of. Even candles lit as far away as a Chinese Buddhist temple.
    ...And so importantly, all of the amazing medical professionals that have touched our lives both officially and unofficially.

    This journey certainly isn't over, but it's like we finished the first segment of a decathlon and wouldn't have finished strong if there weren't so many supporters cheering us the whole way through.

    We love and appreciate all of you!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a step in the right direction! We'll continue to pray for full recovery! GO JOHN! -the durants

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great news. Partial remission puts you SQUARELY in the health circle of most Americans. They may not have any cancer, but they have clogged arteries, tennis elbow, smoke too much (or at all), and are 40lb overweight. Nobody is 100% healthy. I guess what I'm saying is, I think you are back to being as healthy as any other person on the street all things considered. Those other things could bite them too.

    If you dont have your health, you dont have much. Theres nothing worse than feeling crummy and having docs tell you things are not on the up and up. You've battled it well. We've seen our parents go through this crap. It's not easy. I salute your courage and the docs who've taken care of you. There are some wonderful people in medicine who do it for all the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete