Monday, September 14, 2009

September 12, 2009 Day 100

Needless to say, this was one of the most important days in my recovery. This is despite the fact that nothing really happened. There were no tests, no results, just a ticking of the clock and a changing of the date. Day 100 is something that I have pointed to since before the transplant. This was to be the day that I was to be back to normal. This was the day that I could just be me and not be constantly thinking about having cancer. More importantly, it was going to be the day that I had a Whopper.

The problem with trying to be normal is that I’m not sure what normal is anymore. Because I had this disease for some period of time before I realized I had it, I had convinced myself that I was just getting old and I had to deal with everyday aches and pains. Some of those aches and pains have disappeared only to be replaced by others. Is that now the new “normal?”

The good thing is that I feel considerably better than anytime in the last nine months. My energy level is getting back to something that is livable. In my own mind, I had imagined that I would be ready to take on just about anything at this point. I have not yet gotten there, but I have gotten to the point where four+ hours of work does not completely do me in. When I left work on Friday, I actually felt like I had a little bit left in the tank.

I guess I shouldn’t complain. I wasn’t even supposed to come back to work at all until September 14 and I have already worked five weeks of part time days only missing one day in that time period. Everybody at work has been great (as usual) and insisted that I take it easy and not overdo it, but part of what drove me was to be back and making a contribution. My next goal will be to convince Dr. Mikhael that I can start to stretch it out a little more. I will be happy the day I feel well enough to do the traditional 8 to 5 day.

Another nice thing about day 100 is that I can get off of my medication. Due to the reduced immune system, I needed to take three different medications to create an artificial one. It seemed to work as I have not even had the sniffles. However, I think my body was starting to react to the constant bombardment of these drugs. I’m hoping that my withdrawal from those drugs accelerates the process back to normalcy.

Day 100 was as much about eating as anything. I have been religious about the little things like no fast food, no fresh vegetables or fruits and no ice due to potential bacterial infections. Saturday was my day for breaking through those barriers. Saturday was my day with the Burger King. I’m not sure why, but my first fast food was going to be a Whopper (Maybe they can do a commercial about the experience with Brad Pitt playing me at the BK. Hopefully he’d be willing to shave his head.)

I followed that up with a salad at J. Alexander’s as Julia and I celebrated our anniversary a couple days late. To make the day even crazier, I let them put ice in my Sprite! I love living on the edge.

All in all, the 100 days has gone pretty quickly. During that period of time I have had my ups and downs. I have had my doubts about recovery and felt the relief of that anxiety after the results of my first blood test. I lost my best friend which was extremely hard, but I have been able to see my kids play baseball and football. To top off the 100 days, I got to spend a night with my amazing wife celebrating another anniversary.

I’m still not 100% physically, but I am a long way from where I was. My hope is that all goes well when I meet with Dr. Mikhael on September 22 as we discuss where I am and if I can say that I am in remission. Now if I can just manage to deal with the 24 hour urine test without the difficulties I had last time, life will be good.

1 comment: