Sunday, October 30, 2022

A Day Without Tears - 10/30/22

When you are a child, you somehow know at birth that if something isn’t right you cry, If you are hungry, you cry. If they have a full diaper, you cry. It is about the only form of communication that a baby has. As that baby grows older, crying is used for a few reasons: you are physically hurt or you didn’t get what you wanted or you are trying to get your big brother in trouble for doing something to you.

Again, as we age, we stop crying for a number of these things. If I get a paper cut or get a shot at the doctor’s office I am not going to cry. Some of this change comes pressure from our parents or from our peers. No one wants to be called a cry baby.  As an adult it becomes more of a teller of our emotion. When two people end a relationship, at least one of the two cry. When we lose a loved one, we often cry and may do that for a good while.

I remember as a teenager watching “Brian’s Song” and crying like a baby. Brian Piccolo was a running back with the Chicago Bears. It was just sad and really hit me hard. As I have aged, I have found that it takes less and less for the waterworks to start flowing. I have even had commercials hit me hard. I have gotten to the point where it just doesn’t take much.

Of course, being on the brink of death can change one’s view of things.  If I hadn’t received a second stem cell transplant, I would be gone by now. I probably had two months to live when I entered the hospital. If you have read the blog in the past, Julia did an awesome job covering my troubles during my 101 days in the hospital including 8 days in a coma.

All of this makes me appreciate what life I still have. That, of course, doesn’t keep me from thinking about the things I will likely miss in the future. This round of chemo will likely be my last and there’s nothing after that. Don’t feel bad for me but thinking about those things make me cry.

This week was a big one for us in that Julia has really progressed with her nursing skills. We have been doing home dialysis for the last few weeks and today was the first putting the needles in without the trainer around. She did a great job and will only get better. My big news is that I have progressed to being able to use a cane instead of the walker.

We keep on plugging away as we do everything we can to get back to our old life. Keep praying for us, they are all appreciated.


13 comments:

  1. Love hearing from your heart John! Keep on fighting for every day! I’m sure Julia is an awesome nurse! Prayers for many more days of memories to be made! πŸ’™ Rita Jarvis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I couldn't even take biology in HS because I could deal with the idea of cutting into something or the sights and smells. It has certainly been an education by fire!

      Delete
  2. Continued prayers for both of you, love the updates

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I read your blog the first time around and have followed it the second time too. Your strength helped me be strong during my own cancer battle which was no where as struggling as your. Your mention of crying resonated with me. I cried so few times during my battle, yet the other day something as simple as a letter had the tears flowing. It was from my radiation oncologist informing me he was leaving The James to continue his practice in California. I haven’t had radiation in 10 months and only see him every six months for check-ups, yet losing someone from my care team made me cry. John, I wish you well, the strength to take each day as it comes, and when the tears flow they are of joy, not pain. Love your blog! Great job to Nurse Julia! Karen Aschim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continued prayers for both you and Julia πŸ˜˜πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see you back at the keyboard! Continued prayers for you and your family. Keep fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the update John. I pray everyday for you and JuliaπŸ™πŸ™. You have an awesome nurse right by your side❤️

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continued prayers for you both! We love you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome! I have tears for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. John, we both know that many good, God-loving people have prayed for us to stay around for a bit longer. God has listened or we wouldn’t be here relaying our thoughts! Personally, I am glad because I have much more work to do. I thank God for our lasting friendship. Never give up and keep pushing forward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you both love and strength. Well done to Julie for doing the dialysis. So much better to have it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to you both. Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We will continue to pray for strength and healing for you John! Julia has been your angel sent from above!❤️πŸ™πŸ»

    ReplyDelete