Thursday, December 19, 2013

December 9, 2013 -- Remembering our Past

This Christmas is a turning of the page for me. This is not some earth shattering thing, but for some reason, it is important to me. You will probably think I am crazy to even think about it, but let me explain.

I finally broke down and bought a new Christmas tree.  There it is. It is out in the open.

Sounds simple doesn’t it? I guess it isn’t the buying of the new tree, it is the realization that I need to throw one away.  You see the tree that will be thrown away is the one that we have used every year since Justin was born. It has been in dozens of photographs and hours of Christmas videos. It is really the only tree that Santa has left presents under for the last 22 years.  It is the tree that Justin almost knocked over when he was five and sprawling under to get his next big gift.

I have always been a Christmasaholic. I was the guy that was going elbow to elbow with all of the crazy women shoppers at Hallmark the day after Christmas.  One year when we were staying with Julia’s parents we went to a mall that had two Hallmark stores and sent Julia’s brother running back and forth between them so we knew what each other was buying (pre-cell phone days.)

It was 23 years ago that Julia and I fell in love with a Christmas tree that was way over our budget. Today it would be a bargain, but at the time it was rather pricey. We waited until after Christmas hoping that it would drop more than the typical 50%.  We waited and waited but there was no further dropping of price.  It was February and the tree was still in the window just taunting us.

It was February 8, 1991 and we decided to drive across town to see if a miracle had happened and the price had dropped. The store was closed and I can remember Julia staying in the car while I went up to again check  if the price had dropped.  We decided to head home still debating if we should just splurge and buy the tree.

Just a few hours later, Julia went into labor and we were soon holding our first born.  The tree search became part of one of the most important nights in our lives.  After we returned home with Justin, we bought the tree.

The 21 Christmases have been wonderful, but there isn’t enough shipping tape to hold the old thing together. It was time to move on.  As a result, there is a Costco 9 foot tree with blinking LED lights flashing between white and multi-colored standing in our family room. It will be beautiful on Christmas morning, but there will still be something missing.

Sometimes in life we attach important moments or times in our lives to inanimate objects. For whatever reason, they bring back memories that are worth far more than the object ever was.  I have hundreds of old science fiction books that my dad read in the 1940’s and 50’s sitting in the basement.  I still have a couple of the sets of clothes that I wore as a baby that my Mother loving set aside. We keep mementoes from our senior prom or ticket stubs from our first game or concert. To someone else, they mean nothing, but to us, they mean the world. We always want to move on, but we love where we came from, sometimes is the strangest things that take us there.

Julia lost one of her dearest friends this last week. Robyn Driscoll fought a seeming endless war against breast cancer for almost a third of her life.  Robin was a fighter that refused to give in to the monster that stole her life well before her time.  But that was just a small part of who Robin was.  Everyone has nice words to say about someone after they die, but Robyn’s were completely deserved. She was a thoughtful, loving person that will be missed by many. Please keep Robyn’s family in your thoughts and prayers.

I feel so lucky with where I am in my own battle as I remain in remission heading into the new year.  We get caught up in our own lives sometimes, especially at Christmas.  Keep those that are fighting serious illness in your thoughts and remember to give a little gift to your own special charities as you never know when a cure might be found or a person’s life changed by your thoughtfulness.

4 comments:

  1. We have the same tree topper that my father bought when I was 15. It's kind of tacky and looks like a disco ball a little bit; but when it finally dies, I will feel this same way. It's 45 years old! Three fourths of my life! And should it outlive me, I know it will end up in the trash, but every year, it takes me back. I still have prom pictures ;-). I think of you often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year, I think about the Christmas I spent with your family in Ohio. I remember how big Christmas was, and ever since it is a big thing for me. I probably drive my own family mad with all the decorations, the need for a perfect tree, lights,... You taught me that Christmas is important.
    I too went with Julia' mum to the Hallmark store the day after Christmas :-). I made then the first purchase for what is now a really nice Christmas village. My own pride and joy and the favorite of the grandchildren.
    I feel now a bit sad that 'my tree' is no longer there :-(. But I have also lots of pictures of the tree.
    We will be thinking of you guys in Arizona and Julia's parents during the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inge: Some of our best memories of Christmas are when you, Maria, Stefanie and Annette were with us. Those Christmases when the boys were so excited were so fun :-) Plus it was nice to have others join us and share traditions. I will send you a picture of our foyer with all of the Santa photos. The boys still surprise me every Christmas Eve with an adorable framed photo with Santa.

      Delete
  3. What John failed to mention was not only did the tree have to go, but also the rotating base that had been his parents' since he was a little boy ( 50-some years). We not only had a 10' tree all of those year, but it rotated and chimed Christmas tunes. The base had gotten old and the music had sounded twangy on some notes since I'd known him, but in the last few years the rotation worked most of the time, occasionally it would stop and click. We have a modern replacement rotator that we tried with the new tree, but the tree is so much heavier that not only doesn't it hold the tree quite straight, it won't rotate. Bummer :-(

    ReplyDelete