Wednesday, October 12, 2011

October 12, 2011 -- Light the Night III

Since I began this fight with Multiple Myeloma the “Light the Night Walk” has become an important milestone for me every year. It allows me to put an additional notch on the wall that I have beaten cancer for another year. The fact that the first year was such a struggle for me and each year has gotten easier helps give me another reminder of how good I actually have it. Please take a couple of minutes to read the note that I have sent out to a few folks that don’t read this regularly. If you can join us or help in the cause, it would be greatly appreciated.


It is once again time for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's “Light the Night Walk.” This will be my third year to participate which, in a way, is a bit of a minor miracle. When diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma 32 months ago, I had no real reason to believe that I would still be here today. Those of us that find the disease in Stage III (there is no Stage IV) typically live 29 months. I’m one of the luckier ones that has outlived the median mortality rate and continue to feel good about my future.

This last year has had its ups and downs as one of my best friends also found out that he has Multiple Myeloma. In addition, one of the people that reached out to me shortly after I was diagnosed passed away after just over two yours of fighting the disease. Julia’s grandfather passed away this spring from Leukemia after a long fight with prostate cancer. He was 96, but as vital as the day was long. He was not ready to die. To top off the year, my stem cell transplant ran out of gas and I began a regimen of chemotherapy three months ago that will continue for the rest of my life.

Despite that, I remain positive because I know that I have much to live for and there are great advances in research coming. Another good friend that is in his mid-twenties and fighting MM was recently married and is enjoying a honeymoon in Italy. One cannot stop living because they are fighting a terminal disease. You have to live life to the fullest and enjoy every day as if it were the last.

The walk this year will be held at the Tempe Arts Park on the evening of November 12, 2011 as it has for the last two years and we can only hope for greater success. If you can, please come and support the fight against all blood cancers through donations and finding others to join in the walk as we seek more answers that will eventually find cures. If you cannot come, please donate knowing that every little bit that comes in goes to help sufferers of these dreaded diseases. It may be something as simple as helping with co-pays or education around clinicals that are happening or counseling both the patient and their family. In the end, a good deal of your donation will help in the fight for cures.

The fight for a cure is so important because when you have an incurable disease, you cannot help but wonder every day, “how much longer can I last?” You know that the disease is still in you and doing its best to end your life. It is something that you learn to accept, but it is still there. I look forward to the day that I can start thinking about holding a grandchild and not just wonder if I will be here in a in a year. We all need your help.

Remember that this is a night to remember those we have lost not only to blood cancers but cancers of all kinds. It is a celebration of their lives despite being taken too soon. We all have loved ones that have died or are fighting cancer. Please help put a stop to it once and for all.

You were all so generous last year that I can only hope that we can reach and beat a more aggressive goal. Please join Julia, Justin, Jason and me in fighting these diseases. Click on the site below to join in the cause.

http://pages.lightthenight.org/dm/Phoenix11/TeamOutlaws


Thank you for your continuing help,


John Churan

No comments:

Post a Comment