Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 6, 2010 Learning to Let Go

The wind was constant and almost refreshing. It was blowing so hard and consistent that a stray empty Chick-fil-A bag was pressed against the fence in front of me. It was if it were part of the structure for over an hour. Then the rain started. It almost felt as if I was in Ohio and the memories started flooding back. So many hours watching baseball in conditions that ducks would avoid, it had become part of my being.

But this game was different. I knew if they lost it would likely be the last time that I would watch Justin play competitive baseball. For the last 11 years, watching my first born play the game I love has been an adventure, an adventure that I would miss.

Unlike Jason, who I never thought would be an athlete (obviously incorrectly), Justin was blessed with skills at an early age that made me sure that he would excel at a game that I stumbled through for five years. It was a game that I loved but sorely lacked the skills to play. Justin would be my salvation.

From the moment that he started hitting home runs in coach-pitch, I knew he would be a thrill a minute. It was all or nothing with Justin as he would often walk back to the bench with bat in hand suffering from another strikeout. It seemed like every other year would be a good year and the other a bad one. Was he the kid that threw a no hitter when he was 10 and again when he was 14 or was he the kid that couldn’t throw a strike. As a result, he moved from team to team from the time he was 10 until he was 13 when he finally found a home in Marysville, Ohio.

After years of moving and either being a star or wondering if he would play, Justin truly blossomed. I’ll never forget the day that Chuck Gould called me to let me know he would be on the American Legion “A” team the summer after his freshman year in high school. I really questioned Chuck about his playing time and he assured me it would be fine.

For those not familiar, in Ohio American Legion is very competitive. It is usually made up of juniors and seniors in high school and college freshmen. The fact that Justin would be playing against 19 year olds before he could drive was a bit paralyzing at times. The fact that he hit about .275 and pitched fairly well was a relief. Justin had a good sophomore season on the American Legion team but it was his junior year that would be his best. It was also the year that I wouldn’t get to see him play. I would have to live that season through Julia’s eyes and Justin’s post game updates over the phone as I was 2,000 miles away.

During his high school season that year he pitched the best game ever thrown (statistically) at Liberty High School and led the team in home runs. During the American Legion season he hit over .400 and played a major part in the Union Post 79ers getting to the state tournament. He probably had the best week of his life while at the State Tournament including two tape measure home runs in his first two at bats. He ended up hitting .500 for the week.

Little did we know at the time, but that would be the end. He played fairly well that Fall for his new high school team hitting about .350 and not allowing any runs in the handful of innings he received as a pitcher. Yet, when tryouts came in the Spring, he struggled and didn’t make the team. In Ohio, Division I college teams had expressed some interest, but in Arizona, he couldn’t make the high school team.

The only thing that made the knowledge less devastating was the fact the he had learned earlier in the week that both his grandmother and I had cancer. It was a tough time in his life, but one that made him stronger. It made him find new avenues for friends and things to do. As a result, he become much more well rounded and mature at the same time.

He played the last two summers in a collegiate wood bat league, but the lack of playing in the spring was too much for him to overcome and he struggled with the bat and glove. I could see it in his eyes, but it was hard for me to admit the end was near. Even with just a couple weeks left in the season, I hoped he could catch fire and open a few eyes. But it just wasn’t to be.

It is now obvious to me that he has moved on. It is just hard for me to not remember all of those pitches that I threw to both he and Jason over the years. It’s easier to remember lately since I can’t raise my right arm without wincing in pain from too many batting practice fastballs. The joy of going to the baseball field with the boys over the years will never be taken away from me, but that doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to miss those times.

Jason is still up in the air about playing next year, but I’m sure he might be persuaded. In the end, Jason’s time playing baseball has been far easier as he always played and always did well. He was always one of the best kids on his team and rarely saw the bench. It was easy to puff my chest at Jason’s games. He was always in the middle of things. Enjoyment watching Jason always came easy. He glided while Justin trudged. He flew while Justin chugged. I just hope I get to see more of that gliding and flying.

I think that is why it is so hard for me to watch the end of Justin’s time on the field. There were so many times when I suffered with him while he was on the bench just hoping to get a chance to prove himself. The triumphs were so much more enjoyable when they came. I guess that is why I always root for the underdog, especially when we share the same last name.

1 comment:

  1. Just came across this randomly, and I now know exactly how my Dad felt throughout my highschool career. He spent countless hrs throwing BP to me from the time I was a little kid till my senior year. Sophmore year I had colleges contacting me, and was invited to every showcase event. Even made the top 50 list in my state. I knew how important it was to my dad that I play college ball but I started to not love the game anymore, I just wanted to be like every other kid and hang out and not practice. I regret it. Without all the practice I was nothing. Going into senior year I was predicted to have an awesome season being 1 of 2 returing starters and I was even elected Captain of the team. My senior season hurt me, but I think it hurt my dad even more. Watching me on the bench, me telling him not to come to the games because I wouldn't play. He never gave up on me, and I wanted to make him proud so he started throwing to me every night till it got to dark to see. I however did get my chance to prove myself in the 3rd to last game of the season, my dad was there and once the coach told me I was going to play, my goal was to make him proud. My first at bat was a fight, and I won. No one in front of me even put the ball in play. I was so anxious to hit that he got up on me 2 strikes immediately, me fouling off each one. I kept fighting off anything close and the count finally was 3-2. I didn't want to walk, i knew all those extra hrs of practice would pay off. I fouled off 2 more pitches and then he threw my pitch and Bye bye baseball. Solo hr for me, as I ran around the bases I looked for my dad and saw that smile and at that moment I felt a sense of accomplishment and relief. I finished the game going 3-3 with one walk, one hr, a double, and a single. I had 3 RBIs and we won the game 4-2... I still hate my coaches to this day. I proved myself and everyone including parents and teamates thought i earned my spot back. But the coaches son played the same spot i did...It really sucked and i think if you play 6A varsity baseball, coaches son crap is not right. But im sorry for writing this long emotional story haha, i just needed to vent and writing seemed to help. Senior year made me hate baseball, but my dad still wants me to try and play club ball for my college at least. so tommorow we are doing some BP like the old days. I love my dad and today i realize everything he has done for me, I appreciate it all and i hope your son feels the same way about you. I know when i'm a father i'll do everything it takes for them to succeed.

    ReplyDelete